The Responsible Hospitality Institute (RHI) was invited to work with NewTown Macon thanks to a
grant from Knight Foundation and additional funding from the Business Improvement District to
help facilitate safe and vibrant growth in the “social economy.” The focus of the report’s analysis
and recommendations is on the social economy contained within Downtown Macon (the Central
Business District). However, some findings and suggested actions may address systemic challenges
and issues that may affect social venues countywide.
Monthly BID Meetings
The BID Board of Directors will meet six times during the 2021 calendar year. The Board convenes at 4:00pm on the 4th Wednesday of all even months, unless noted otherwise. To ensure everyone’s safety, as well as abide by CDC social distancing guidelines, the Board is not convening physically, but instead via Zoom. Each meeting is open to the public. If interested in joining a meeting, please send an email of inquiry to Erin Keller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021 Meeting Dates
Wednesday, February 24
Wednesday, April 28
Wednesday, June 2
Wednesday, August 25
Wednesday, October 27
Wednesday, December 15 (due to the holiday, the BID will convene on the third Wednesday)
The elected board members have working working diligently and attentively on your behalf to ensure the deployment of services tightly align with the goal of a cleaner and safer downtown Macon!
See below for a recap of BID happenings since the BID’s inception:
- March 2018: The published deadline (March 30, 2018) passes for 4 separate Request For Proposals, including administrative and district improvement services.
- June 2018: The BID Board of Directors votes and selects two administrative vendors based on the submitted RFPs for banking and insurance services.
- November 2018: After a extremely in-depth procurement process, the BID Board votes to engage with the nationally renowned ambassadorial service company, Block by Block. This company is contracted in 104 urban districts throughout the nation. The ambassador program will focus on special enhancement projects that ensure Macon’s historic city center is cleaner, greener, and safer.
- December 2018: The BID Board unanimously votes to engage the selected landscaping vendor, BrightView, to complete a downtown landscaping clean-up to spruce up the medians and green spaces in preparation for holiday traffic.
- January 2019: Block by Block is on the ground! Ambassadors have been hired and officially hit the streets.
- March 2019: BrightView Landscaping start and complete a median re-design at the intersection of Third St. and Mulberry St., just in time for the annual Cherry Blossom Festival.
- July 2019: 20 cigarette butt receptacles, or “buttlers,” are installed throughout the district.
- December 2019: The BID provides additional security for the annual Main Street Christmas Light Extravaganza.
- March 2020: COVID-19 causes the Ambassador program to reduce hours deployed to the district.
June 2020: The Ambassadors return to normal working hours in delivering services to the District.
November 2020: The BID matches a grant from the Peyton Anderson Foundation to reconstruct the median park on Poplar St. to complete the initial Poplar Yards project.
December 2020: The BID provides additional security for the annual Main Street Christmas Light Extravaganza.
BID Board Elections
On September 19, 2017, property owners in downtown Macon met the Hargray Capitol Theatre to elect an inaugural Board to manage the Downtown Macon BID. The following seven individuals will serve on the BID Board:
The Hon. Lester Miller, Mayor of Macon-Bibb
Larry Brumley, Appointee, Chair of the Board of Directors, NewTown Macon
Members with Term Limits
Tom Wight, Chair – 577 Mulberry Street LLC; 240 Second Street, LLC (Second Term expires 9/2022)
Jean Bragg, Vice Chair – 530 Cherry Street Building Renovations, LLC; 543 Poplar St., LLC (Second Term expires 9/2023)
Quinn Rolfes, Appointee, Treasurer – Capital City Bank (Second Term expires 9/2021)
Wes Griffith- Griffith Family Investment; 543 Cherry Street Building, LLC; Mulberry Street Parking, LLC (Second Term expired 9/2022)
Bryan Nichols, Poplar St. LLC & Nichols Investment Group (First Term expires 9/2023)