In 1996, The Peyton Anderson Foundation enabled a group of visionary corporate and civic leaders to establish a non-profit, public-private partnership called NewTown Macon. The goal was to restore and re-establish downtown Macon as a thriving center of economic, cultural, and social activity. For over 15 years, NewTown has been providing Macon with leadership, planning, and support toward this goal. The community has responded by investing over $350 million to improve downtown.
NewTown Macon is a non-profit organization dedicated to implementing the community’s vision of a comprehensive, coordinated, and continuous plan for revitalizing downtown Macon, Georgia.
Revitalizing our downtown improves the quality of life for all of Macon’s citizens. NewTown Macon reinvigorates downtown by focusing on increasing residents, growing jobs and creating a sense of place.
Residential development in downtown Macon is critical to the city’s success in attracting jobs, growing the economy, and creating a vibrant community. NewTown must help meet the challenge of securing financing in the present economic climate for mixed-use projects.
• Revolving Equity Fund using charitable gifts to infuse capital into shovel-ready projects
• Bond Revenue Fund in partnership with the Bibb County Development Authority to bridge the capital gap in residential projects
• Transitional Property Fund for buying and stabilizing key properties
NewTown will work with the Urban Development Authority to entice desirable anchor businesses to the target areas and provide financial incentives that coupled with state tax credits, will make an attractive package for prospects.
• Business Recruitment Fund to entice anchor businesses
• Support services for entrepreneurs
Creating a Sense of Place
Downtown Macon has much to offer – historic architecture, a rich musical heritage, quality higher education opportunities, and a distinctive mix of dining and entertainment venues. NewTown will continue raising our city’s visibility while providing unique cultural and recreational opportunities.
• Maintaining the Ocmulgee Heritage Trail
• Renovating Amerson River Park
• Managing First Friday
• Operating the NewTown Trolleys
• Promoting downtown businesses and events